Flaxseed or Linseed is herbaceous plant; it grows up to 2-4 feet in height with striped leaves in spiky shaped, sky blue color fruit and round in shape.Linseed is botanically named as Linum usitatissimum, grown as rotating crop and cultivated throughout the world such as Canada, China, Russia, India, United Kingdom etc.Linseed crop is grown for its herbal oil and fibers.
Linseed oil is laxative in nature:
As it contain Omega 3 fatty acid shows anti oxidant property, it provides relieves from pain and inflammation.
Linseed oil contain source of nutrition lignans which resemble estrogen hormone so it helps in balancing abnormal hormonal values.
Flaxseed oil is obtained from ripened seed of the plant by pressing or also by solvent extraction method.
Linseed oil is yellowish colored in appearance and mild in smell, drying oil having polymer forming properties. Linseed oil is extremely vulnerable in rancidity.
Its major compositions are α-linoleic acid, Palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid and linoleic acid and rich in omega 3 fatty acid.
Uses & Benefits of Flaxseed Oil:
Safety and Precaution:
- Linseed oil is rich in α-linoleic acid; it is beneficial for heart problems as it reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- It is used to prevent high blood pressure by inhibiting inflammatory reaction.
- It is used to nourish dry or brittle nails, stopping them from splitting or cracking.
- It provides protection against colon, breast, prostate and skin cancer.
- It is effective against ageing & It is used for the treatment of psoriasis and eczema and also helps in healing of itchy patches of these diseases.
- It is used to improve transmission of nerve impulses, provide relieve from numbness and tingling.
- It is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s diseases, nerve damage associated with diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis.
- It is used as great wood finish with leaving shine in wood as it deep absorbed inside the wood and provide strengthen to wood, enables wood resistant to denting and scratches.
- It is used as paint binder due to its oily texture, makes a prominent carrier in paint.
- It is used for the treatment of various diseases such as arthritis, coronary heart diseases and stroke.
- It is used to cure inflammatory and autoimmune disorders and asthma.
- It provides health benefits and used as dietary supplement as well.
Linseed carrier oil contain chemical which percolate through skin and act as toxin.
Linseed oil is not safe for pregnant, breast feeding and bleeding disorder persons.
Keep away from hot temperatures as it is flammable in certain case.Specification:
Testing Protocol : BP
Appearance : Clear yellow to brownish yellow liquid, on exposure to air turning dark and gradually thickens. When cooled, it becomes a soft mass about -20°C.
Solubility : Very slightly soluble in ethanol, miscible with light petroleum.
Relative Density : About 0.931
Refractive Index at 20°C : About 1.480Storage:
Store in well closed containers, in cool and dry storage area.